Thursday, May 17, 2012

7commitments: TIME

"If someone asked you WHO you are discipling, could you give them a name? At least one name?"

After answering the question "WHO?" comes the inevitable "WHAT?"

So what? Now what do I do? The Holy Spirit and circumstances have intersected my life with someone that I think could learn from me as I learn from Christ. How do I make it happen?

Our first commitment is TIME.

Discipleship doesn't happen on accident. It takes being intentional, and it takes effort. So, commit together with the one (or those) you are discipling to meet consistently. For some, this may mean weekly. Other might only be able to commit to twice-per-month, but no matter your particular availability, express you intentions and follow through.

I try to meet weekly with those I'm discipling and being discipled by. It has also been helpful to have consistency in WHEN we meet (e.g. Thursday 9 AM for coffee, Wednesday nights at 7 PM).

Outside of your committed, intentional time, it's important to live life together. Whenever you get the chance to do the normal activities of life WITH those you're discipling, this is gold! As the old saying goes, "More is caught than taught." If they see you living out abiding in Christ and walking in the Spirit, they'll learn more than 100 hours of theoretical conversation.


No comments:

Post a Comment